Recently, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has announced that linking your Aadhaar Card with your PAN Card (Permanent Account Number) is mandatory. The deadline for the same is 31st March 2018.
The logic behind linking your PAN Card and Aadhaar Card is to eliminate multiple PANs of a single person. It is compulsory for all no matter whether you file Income Tax Returns (ITR) or not. In its previous budget, Government established one law that it is mandatory for all with PAN to link it with Aadhaar Card.
Steps to link Pan Card with Aadhaar Card for Registered Users
The procedure to link your PAN Card with your Aadhaar Card is quite easy, especially for those who already file taxes and are registered with the e-filling portal of Income Tax. But, those who have not yet registered have to get registered first. The step-by-step process is explained in this post. Read it further to know how you can do so.
- Visit the e-filling portal of Income Tax Department http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and simply log in by entering the credentials (User ID and Password).
- Once you are logged-in, a pop-up window will appear on the screen. The window will prompt you to link your PAN card to your Aadhaar Card. In case, if the pop-up window does not appear, go to “Profile Settings” and select “Link Aadhaar” from the drop-down menu.
- Following the prompts, fill the required fields with your correct details.
- Enter your Aadhaar Card Number in the required field.
- Click on “Link Now”.
- By submitting all the details appropriately, an acknowledging message will be displayed after successful submission of links.
Steps to Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card for Non-Registered Users
If you are not yet registered on the e-filling portal of Income Tax Department, here are some steps you need to do follow to link your PAN Card with your Aadhar Card. Read out the steps and follow to complete the process!
- Firstly, visit e-portal of Income Tax Department- http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home.
- Then, click on “Register Yourself” in the top right corner to get your user ID, and set your password.
- Start by selecting the appropriate user type (Individual or Company).
- Click on “Continue”.
- Fill all the details including PAN Surname, DOB, First Name, and Middle Name (if applicable). You can select your date of birth from the drop-down menu, and click on “Continue”.
- Once you will continue your user ID will appear on next page. Then, fill the required information and set your password. On this page, you need to provide your valid email ID, your address, and mobile number.
- Fill the “Captcha” code in the field, and click on Submit.
- A “Thank you for registering in e-filling” message will appear on the screen. Then you will appear to receive an OTP on your mobile number along with an activation link on your email.
- Log in to your mail ID and click on the activation link. In addition to this, enter the OTP and click on “Submit” button. Again there will be a display appear on your screen saying “The User ID is successfully activated”.
- After completing the registration process, follow the steps given in the previous paragraph for the registered users. Your PAN Card and Aadhaar Card linking will be successful.
Wrapping it up!
Above are the steps of linking a PAN Card with Aadhaar Card. Follow these steps for successful linking. Keep in mind to complete the process before 31st March 2018. Make sure that there would not be any discrepancy such as spelling mistakes.
This is because due to such errors, linking will not be successful. Also, if the details you entered while registering on the e-portal are different from that of on your PAN Card, or Aadhaar Card, you will be required to update them.date them.
Also Read: How to Link Aadhar with Idea Mobile Number Online/Offline