Aadhaar, after being launched in the year 2009 by the Government of India, has become one of the most important documents to have for every Indian citizen. This acts as a valid identification proof for all the citizens of India, and in addition to that it serves other purposes as well, like providing access to government schemes, helping you file Income tax returns, Digital life Certificate, and many more. This is why the Government of India is pushing hard to get the people link Aadhaar ID’s to their SIM cards, PAN cards, and even bank accounts.
The Government of India has made it maOnlunendatory for all the people to link Aadhaar to their mobile numbers, bank accounts, and even their PAN cards within specific deadlines. Failing to do so might invite the suspension of your phone number, bank accounts, and also cause your Income tax returns invalid.
This is a quick reminder guide on the deadlines and what you need to do, to link Aadhaar with your PAN, SIM, and bank accounts.
Link Aadhaar with PAN before 31st December 2017
The Finance Bill for the year 2017-2018 presented by the Finance Minister Mr. Arun Jaitley made Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns and provided for linking of the PAN with Aadhaar to keep a track of the tax evasions that people do through multiple PAN cards. Government of India has set the deadline to 31st December, 2017 for linking Aadhaar to PAN. If you haven’t done it yet, here’s how you can do it.
How to link Aadhaar with PAN
- Keep your Aadhaar card and the PAN card with you.
- Register or sign up on the income-tax department’s e-filing portal. If you are already registered in the portal, log in to the portal with your user ID, password, and date of birth.
- You’ll get a pop-up window, prompting you to link your PAN with Aadhaar card. However, if you have a pop-up blocker active, you will have to go to the “Profile Setting” on the dashboard’s menu bar and click on “Link Aadhar” option to continue the process.
- Now you’ll have to add all the necessary details, like your name, date of birth, as well as your gender, as per your PAN card. Remember, If your data is different from that mentioned on PAN, the Aadhaar will not be linked.
- Next thing that you need to do is, enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number, then verify the captcha. Then click on “Link Aadhaar” button.
- Once your validation is successful, your Aadhaar will be successfully linked to your PAN.
- The process is successful when you get a popup message stating that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN card.
Link Aadhaar with SIM before 6th February 2018
You might be receiving various texts from your mobile network provider to link your Aadhaar number with your mobile number. To make the process of linking your Aadhaar card to your SIM card easier, the telecom networks have been asked by the Government to allow people connect their Aadhaar ID through OTP. This facility will start rolling out starting 1st December. However, if you don’t want to wait till then, here’s how you can do to connect your Aadhaar to SIM.
Also Read: Aadhar Card Verification: 3 Methods Introduced By DoT – uidai.gov.in
Link Aadhaar with SIM for the first time
If your mobile number hasn’t been linked with your Aadhaar card, here’s how you can do it for the first time.
- Visit your nearest Aadhaar center and submit an Aadhaar update/correction form along with the required documents. You can easily get the update/correction form at the Aadhaar center or you can even download it from the UIDAI website by clicking here.
- Once you fill the form and submit it, you’ll be asked for your biometric data to verify the same.
- After the verification, the agent will provide you an acknowledgement slip and your number will be updated and linked to your Aadhaar ID within 10 days.
Link Aadhaar to your new number
If you already have a number that’s linked with your Aadhaar and want to change it, here’s how you can do it without visiting an Aadhaar center.
- Go to the UIDAI website or click here.
- Choose the Update Aadhaar Details (Online) option.
- Once selected, you’ll be redirected to the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal, where you need to enter you Aadhaar details.
- You’ll then get an OTP in your registered mobile number, which you can use for authenticating your request.
- After it’s done, you’ll be redirected to the data updating page, where under ‘select field to update’, select mobile number.
- Now enter the new mobile number that you want to link with the Aadhaar and submit.
- Once the new number gets updated, you will get the Aadhaar card Update Request Number, which can be further used to track the status of your request.
Link Aadhaar with your bank account before 31st December
The deadline for linking your Aadhaar ID to the bank accounts has been extended to 31st December from 31st August. No matter if you have one bank account or multiple bank accounts, you’ll have to link all of them with your Aadhaar. If you think you’ve linked some of your accounts to Aadhaar but not sure which of them are connected, you can check them on the UIDAI website or by clicking here. However, if you haven’t linked your bank accounts to Aadhaar yet, here’s how you can do it.
Link Aadhaar to bank account
Most of the banks let their customers link their Aadhaar to the accounts via a number of options. For instance you can link your Aadhaar to account through, ATM, Net Banking, phone, SMS, or even by visiting the nearest branch of your bank. Here’s how you can do it.
This is probably the simplest way how you can link your Aadhaar to your bank account. Once you log in to your bank’s net banking portal with your username and password, you’ll find the option to link your Aadhaar in the first page itself. All you need to do is just select the option, fill in the details asked, and then click on submit. If you have multiple bank accounts then you need to repeat the process of linking each account to Aadhaar individually.
You’ll find some banks giving the option to link your account to Aadhaar through phone. All you need to do is just call at the given number and then you’ll have to enter all the details asked by the IVR machine. However, remember your bank will not call you to ask for your Aadhaar details and other bank details like card number and PIN. If you receive any call asking your personal information, it’s recommended that you don’t give out any details and report about it to the police.
Yes, this might come as a surprise, but you can link Aadhaar to your bank account through the BHIM app. Install and open the BHIM app in your smartphone and then find the option that lets you add the Aadhaar to your account. Fill in all the asked details and when asked for the OTP enter it and voila! it’s done.
If you don’t wish any of these above mentioned ways, you can simply walk into a branch of your bank and provide them with your Aadhaar and account details. Once you do that the bank will take 4-5 days to verify the details of your Aadhaar and complete the linking.
Here you go, these are all you need to know about the deadlines and how can you link your Aadhaar ID to your SIM, PAN, and your bank account as well. SO what are you waiting for, if you haven’t linked your Aadhaar, do it as soon as possible to stay away from hassles.
Also Read: How to check Aadhar Card Status online: All you need to know