Tired of incessant phone calls from customer care? Or found a better mobile network in the city you just got posted in? Not to worry, Now you can sort all your problems with the help of MNP plans. And what’s best is that now you can port Idea to any cellular service provider that you like.
What is MNP?
Mobile number portability (MNP) is a service that allows a cellphone or smartphone customer to change telecom carrier and keep the same phone number.
The lack of number portability between wireless carriers has kept many consumers in India from changing cell phone service providers. Now that the infrastructure is finally in place, MNP is available to all wireless customers since the end of January 2011.
The process for porting (moving) a phone number in India has been made as simple as possible. The customer simply has to send a text message (SMS) that says PORT from their phone to 1900. The existing provider will send the customer a unique porting code, which the customer will share with their new carrier.
The new carrier uses the porting code to check and make sure the customer’s old account is paid in full. Once that information has been verified, the new provider will send the customer a text message informing the customer exactly when the porting will take place.The maximum time for porting is 7 working days except in Jammu and Kashmir, Assam and North East service areas, where it is 15 working days. The phone will not be usable for about two hours during the actual porting process. Once the porting is complete, the new provider will send a text message confirming the switch.
The new provider may request that the customer pay a small charge (no more than R19) for porting the old number, but many wireless carriers are not charging fees in hopes of gaining as many new customers as possible. If the customer is not happy with the new service provider, he can switch again after 90 days.
How to Port Idea to Jio
If you want to reap the benefits of Jio while they last, just follow the simple steps mentioned below and you will be good to go!
- First up, you need to send a text message to your current operator requesting for a port out. The message PORT should be sent to 1900.
- In return, you will receive a Unique Porting Code from 1901 with 15 days validity from your current carrier.
- Head to any Reliance Mobile Store or retailer and fill up the Customer Application Form (CAF) where you’ll also fill in the porting code.
- Submit the required documents (proof of address, proof of identity and photograph), and in return, Reliance will issue a new Reliance Jio SIM card.
- Once activated, this SIM will use the same phone number you already had, and your old SIM will be deactivated.
The Reliance Jio SIM could take up to 7 days to activate, and a fee of Rs. 19 will be charged. During porting, your number might be dead for about two hours (sometime between 10pm and 5am) before the new Reliance Jio SIM gets activated. Once your current SIM starts showing “No Service”, it’s likely time to put in your new Reliance Jio SIM.
How to Port Idea to Airtel
If you want to change to a reliable service provider like Airtel, just follow the simple steps mentioned below and you will be good to go!
- SMS PORT to 1900
- Walk into an airtel store at the location you plan to move to
- Fill the Subscriber Enrollment Form and submit your ID & address proof documents
- Collect your new SIM from the store and insert it in your phone once your old SIM disconnects. You will receive an SMS confirming the approximate time when your old SIM will stop working.
- Dial 59059 upon seeing signal bars in your handset for tele-verification
See here: Latest Reliance Jio Recharge Plans
That’s it. You are all set to enjoy the smartphone network with the same number in your new city.
How to Port Idea to Vodafone
If you want to switch to Vodafone and keep your current mobile telephone number you will need to port your mobile phone number from your current mobile telephone operator to Vodafone using MNP – mobile number portability.
The MNP process is simple and quick.
- Send SMS to 1900 in the format: PORT <Your Mobile Number>
- Receive your UPC (unique porting code) with the expiry date
- Apply using this code before the expiry date.
- Visit the Vodafone store to complete the required formalities and buy an MNP SIM card.
- After getting permission from your existing operator, Vodafone will fix the time of porting and inform you through SMS.
- By sending an SMS to the existing number Vodafone will disconnect the services to existing mobile number for few hours.
- As soon as the non-service time ends, insert the MNP SIM(New Vodafone Sim) and Vodafone will claim your number, and services from them will be available soon.
Having trouble porting your number? Any other issues you want a light on? Leave your answers in the comments section below and let us know!