Documents required for PAN card: It’s again that time of the year when everyone talks about income tax and filing income tax returns as the financial is coming to an end. It can be heard in every household and office. To file these income tax returns, the most important thing that you require is a PAN card. If you’re a working employee, then chances are you already know about the PAN card and you also might have one. However, if you don’t have one and you don’t know what it is, worry not. Find all about the PAN card here in this space.
What is PAN?
Basically, PAN or Permanent Account Number is a code number issued to the people by the Department of Income Tax India. It’s a 10 digit number that contains a combination of alphabets and numbers, which is unique for every holder.
This number is used by the Department of Income Tax to keep a track of all the financial transactions done by an individual. It also allows the department to find information about all the tax paid by a certain individual. This is what makes PAN very important and mandatory for every Indian citizen to have.
Who should have PAN?
Well, this is a question that most people ask. The answer to this question is, every citizen who earns a taxable income must have a PAN card. Also, producers and manufacturers of excisable goods, companies, trusts, and even the people who furnish a return of income must have a PAN card.
How to apply for PAN card?
Now that you know what a PAN card is and who should have a PAN card, you must be looking for methods to apply for PAN card. Worry not; here are all the details on how to apply for PAN card and the documents required for PAN card application.
There are two methods in which you can apply for PAN card in India.
- Offline/Application method.
- Online method
Documents required for PAN card application in India
1. Identity proof
To apply for PAN card, you need to have a valid identity proof. Here are some of the documents that you can use for it:
- Aadhaar card
- Driving License
- Voter’s ID card
- Arms License
- Ration card with photograph
- Pensioner card with photo
- ID with photo that issued by the Government of India
- Certificate of identity issued and attested by MP or MLA
- Bank certificate issued on a letterhead of the bank and signed by the head of the bank’s branch
2. Address Proof
You also need to provide a valid proof of address. Here are the documents that you can use for it:
- Aadhaar card
- Voter’s ID card
- Post office passbook
- Passport of spouse
- Domicile certificate issued by the government
- Employer certificate
- Property registration papers
- Property tax assessment order (latest)
- Certificate of address issued and attested by an MP or MLA
- Utility bills with your name or spouse’s name on it
- Credit card statement (not in all cases)
3. Date of birth
You also need a proof of your date of birth. Here’s a list of the documents that you can use for it:
- Birth certificate issued by the municipality
- Marriage certificate
- Pension payment order
- Matriculation certificate
- Driving License
- Domicile certificate
You will require at least 2 passport size photographs for the application. Remember, you need to make sure that the photographs are latest and not older than a month.
Now that you know about the documents required for PAN card application, it’s time that you learn how to apply for a PAN card.
1. Offline method to apply for PAN card
The PAN card applications are available very easily in the PAN facilitation centers that are located in all the cities and towns all across India, wherever the Income Tax offices are located. All you need to do is just visit these centers and ask for an application form to apply for PAN card. You can also download the form 49A online and visit the nearest PAN facilitation center to apply for the PAN card.
2. Apply PAN card online
The recent advancements in the technology and the government pushing to become digitally savvy has had a great impact on various government procedures. Now, you can apply for PAN card directly online, without going to any PAN centers. Here’s how you can do it:
- First, collect all the required documents for PAN card application that’s mentioned above.
- Go to the NSDL website.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and find the Apply for a new PAN card drop-down menu. Then select Individual from the drop-down list.
- Now, you’ll find the form that you need to fill completely.
- In the form, you’ll find a field that asks for AO code, if you don’t know the AO code search for it on Google.
- Remember, while filling the form make sure you select the correct documents that you’ll be submitting with the form.
- After you complete filling the form, you need select a mode to pay Rs.105 towards the application fees.
- Once done click on Submit.
- You’ll now see a screen containing all the information that you’ve provided in the form. Carefully check the form for errors before moving forward.
- Once you’re done, type the captcha and click on Confirm.
- Now, you’ll be redirected to the payment page, complete the transaction and note the transaction number for future reference.
- Once you complete the payment, you’ll be redirected to an Acknowledgement form, print the form.
- Paste two passport size recent photograph in the printed form.
- Sign in the box provided.
- Put the form in an envelope and write APPLICATION FOR PAN – (15 digit acknowledgment form number)
- Now post it to the address: NSDL at Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016.
Here’s how you can apply for PAN online. Make sure that all the documents required for PAN card application are properly uploaded or sent with the envelope.