As per the directions given by the government of India, Aadhar card link up with your mobile sim cards has been made mandatory. Aadhar card is a UID (Unique Identity Number) which every Indian should possess. The card with a 12- digit unique number is issued by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) and is also compulsory for filing income tax return (ITR) or applying for Permanent Account Number (PAN).
Major telecom companies of India including Bharti Airtel, Idea, and Vodafone have been alerting and reminding their users about aadhaar link with mobile. If you do not have this 12- digit unique identity number issued by the unique identification authority of india, then you will no longer be able to use your sim card.
When is the last date to link your aadhar card with your phone number?
All the mobile numbers have to be linked with aadhar card of their respective owners before 31 March, 2018. The government of India has made aadhaar card link up with mobile number mandatory as per the orders of the Supreme Court which was passed in February 2017 during the Lokniti foundation case.
The Department of Telecommunication (DOT) has instructed all the telecom operators in India to adhere to Aadhar card mobile number link up. We can see that the government is trying to chip off all the sim cards taken with fake IDs.
How to do aadhar card link with mobile?
Different telecom companies have been instructing their users to link their phone numbers with their aadhaar numbers in different ways. For example, Airtel aadhaar link online is not possible and you need to visit your nearest airtel store or an authorized retailer to get the link up done.
Airtel Aadhar-SIM linking
“As per the government directive, linking Aadhaar to your mobile number is mandatory for all existing customers,” Bharti Airtel, India’s largest telecom provider, said on its website. If you are a prepaid customer, then you can get the link up done in an airtel store as well as from an authorized dealer. But if you are a postpaid customer, then you will have to visit an airtel store to get this task done.
“We recommend you complete this process as soon as possible. Last date for the same is 6th Feb 2018,”announced airtel on their official website making it clear for their users. Airtel also said that “all you need is your Aadhar card/number and your Mobile. You will be required to complete biometric verification. You will also receive the verification code (OTP) on your Mobile that would be required to complete the process.”
So, basically you just need to walk-in with your mobile phone and this doesn’t sound like a complex process at all. Does it?
Idea Aadhar-SIM linking steps
Idea is another major telecomm service provider in India and here are the steps you need to follow in order to do idea Aadhaar link online.Here are the following steps one by one
- Visit the Idea center closest to you and give your mobile number and Aadhaar number.
- You will get a 4-digit verification code on the mobile number which you have provided as the idea customer care executive proceeds with the matter.
- You need to provide this code to the executive to get your number verified and then record your biometrics.
- After 24 hours, you will receive a confirmation message on your mobile number upon which you need to reply ‘Y’ to complete the EKYC process.
Well, even this procedure is very much similar to the airtel one and so we’re assuming that most of the mobile phone service providers go ahead with the aadhar card link up procedure in a similar fashion.
When is the last date to link your aadhar card with you PAN card?
If you’ve already taken a PAN (Permanent Account Number) card by providing your aadhar card, it is automatically linked and you need not link it again. However if you haven’t done it, you better do it soon because the last date to link your PAN number with your aadhaar card is December 31, 2017.
The date was extended by Central Board of Direct Taxes in August to help taxpayers since many people don’t have their aadhar cards yet. If you don’t have an aadhaar number, you should apply for one as soon as possible since the procedure will take a while before you receive your aadhaar number.
The linking up of aadhaar to PAN is mandatory without which the processing of ITRs for the assessment year 2017-18 cannot be done. The income tax department has notified the public about the consequences of not getting the link up done. In such cases, the income tax payments will be considered as invalid and the taxpayer will have to pay a penalty or interest. People who fail to link their aadhaar cards with their PAN card may also have to face troubles like disallowances for losses.
How to link aadhaar with PAN?
There are two easy methods to link your aadhaar number and PAN number. Both of these methods can be done online. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to the link www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on the left side option which says “Link aadhaard.”
- Enter your aadhaard number and your PAN number in the spaces provided.
- Type your name as mentioned in your aadhaard card without any spelling mistakes.
- UIDAI will verify the linking.
- Go to the official website of the income tax department and login to your account.
- If you have not registered already, then register it with the help of this link https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Most probably a pop up will appear on your screen asking you to link your aadhaar card with your PAN card, click on it.
- If the pop up doesn’t appear, go to the blue bar at the top and click on the option that says “Profile Settings”.
- Once you’ve clicked on it, choose “Link aadhaar” option.
- Check if the details shown about your identity is the same as that on your aadhar card. If yes, click on “Link now” button.
- You will get a popup message once the link up is done.
Linking Aadhar with bank accounts
As per the fresh orders of the government, if you don’t link your existing bank accounts with Aadhar number within 31st March, then your account will become non-operational. For opening new bank accounts, the government has already made Aadhar as a mandatory proof of identity. For existing account holders Aadhar-based verification is mandatory to be done before 31st March 2018.