While the battle between telecom services to provide better and cheap services to people is increasing, also increasing is the number of people trying to change to different providers. People generally tend to switch to networks that are cheap and that provide better services with good coverage across the country. One of the most popular telecom providers that people are switching to is Airtel. It has probably the best network coverage across the country and also its recent unlimited 4G plans have been luring people to choose it. However, it’s not possible for some to change their existing numbers while changing their telecom service provider. This is where MNP acts as a boon, which lets people change their telecom providers without changing numbers. You can easily avail the Airtel MNP services to switch from other networks to Airtel and vice versa.
Airtel MNP: Steps and why is it required
Before going into the steps that are involved in porting, it’s important that you know what exactly MNP is. So let’s start out by learning the basics of MNP.
What is MNP?
MNP or Mobile Number Portability is a process that lets you switch from one telecom network provider to another telecom network provider without changing the number. This process is a boon if you want to change your telecom network provider without intending to change your existing mobile number.
Advantages of porting your number
- You can change your telecom network provider without changing your existing mobile number.
- If you have any issues with your current telecom network, then you’ll be able to switch to a better telecom network provider.
- You can always switch to a network that’s cheap and provides good ROI.
- Porting may provide you extra benefits from your new telecom network provider.
Things to Remember Before Porting
- You can also port your current number from prepaid connection to postpaid connection
- If you want to port to another network, first you have complete 90 days in the current network from the day of activation of your mobile number.
- You can also port your current service provider to any other city in India all you need to do is pay Rs.19 for this process
- Porting process takes 7 days for implement
- If you are a POSTPAID user than please fill your due bill before applying for the port.
- You can port to any network you want
Documents that you need for porting
- One passport size recent photograph of yours.
- A valid ID proof, like Driving License, Aadhaar card, Voters ID, or anything that has your address in it.
- Mobile portability form that you need to fill in.
- Your current mobile number, operator name, and the Unique Porting Code, which is comprised of 8 digits.
Steps for porting your number to/from Airtel
Basically, there are two major ways in which you can port your number if you’ve decided to go through the Airtel MNP process:
- Through Call
- Through SMS
If you want to know more about how you can use the Airtel MNP services you can click here.
SMS method of porting
- Open the SMS app in your mobile phone
- Send an SMS writing PORT<space><Your current mobile number> to 1900
- Once you do it, all you need to do is wait for a reply that would contain the 8-digit UPC or Unique Porting Code for Airtel MNP.
- Now visit your nearest store and follow the instructions given by them.
- Then fill the porting form and provide them a photograph and a photocopy of your ID.
- Ask for your new SIM.
- Wait until the SIM gets activated.
Porting through call
- Open the dialer app and call 1900
- Once you do it, you need to follow some instructions provided in the call.
- Dail the number you need to port.
- Once you do that you’ll receive the UPC code for Airtel MNP.
- Visit your nearest store to which you have to go before expiring time of the code.
- Now talk to Customer care and follow the steps that are said to you.
- Fill a form and after filling the form give your id’s photocopy as proof.
- Get your new SIM.
- Wait for the SIM to get activated.
- If you are a POSTPAID user then you have to carry your last paid bill with you for porting.