Coconuts are amazing in a lot of ways. You can eat them, drink them, use the oil in food, on skin, on hair, use the husk to make stuff, use the wood to make stuff- basically a lot of things. Saving you from a long introduction, I’m gonna just start with the benefits of coconut.
Benefits of Coconut When Consumed Orally
- Even though a lot of people may avoid coconut and coconut oil in their food thinking that they are bad for health, it’s important to know that only hydrogenated coconut oil is bad. You can always use pure and virgin coconut oil.
- Even though coconut contains saturated fat, it is much better than the high calorie, cholesterol-soaked, long-chain saturated fats.
- Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids which are easily metabolized by our body.
- Coconut oil helps in improving our immune system since it has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties.
- Since coconut oil helps in increasing the metabolism rate in a healthy way, it helps in fat loss.
- It helps in detoxification of your body and helps in maintaining good health of your digestive tract.
- Coconut oil does not form harmful by-products when cooked under usual cooking temperature, unlike most of the vegetable oils do.
- Coconut oil has a great flavor and aroma that will make your food yummy regardless of fried or raw food.
- Improves production of insulin the body which will help in preventing diabetes.
- It protects the body from cancers that are caused due to lack of insulin.
- Coconuts help is getting rid of free radicals in the body thereby keeping you away from aging and degenerative diseases.
- Reduce the risk of heart problems and produces good cholesterol (HDL)
- Helps in proper functioning of the thyroid glands.
- Protects your body against kidney related issues and urinary bladder infections.
Benefits of Coconut When Used on the Body Externally
Benefits of coconut for the Skin
- Coconut oil has been used since generations for cuts, rashes and burns because of their anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It helps to keep the harmful microbes away from the sensitive area to avoid infection.
- You can use coconut oil on your skin before to take a shower and your skin will feel soft and nourished.
- Coconut oil can be used as an eye make up remover. All you need to do is to take a few drops of coconut oil on a cotton ball and remove your make up. Wash it away with a mild face wash.
- Coconut oil can be used as a natural shimmer. Once you’re done with your make up, just apply some coconut oil over your cheek bones to give your face a shimmery look.
- Coconut milk and coconut oil can be used in your face masks to moisturize your skin.
- Mix half a cup of coconut oil with some sugar and heat them until it melts. Off the flame and add some essential oils to it if you want. Once the mixture cools down, you can use it as a body scrub with amazing fragrance.
- After you shave your legs or hands, apply some coconut oil over the skin and wash it with luke warm water to avoid rashes.
Benefits of Coconut for Hair
- Coconut oil is one of the best oils to use when it comes to hair care. Coconut oil massage every three days can reduce your hair fall and bring back the lost shine.
- Coconut oil and coconut milk can be used in hair masks along with other ingredients like avocado, eggs, yogurt, and many more things. To know about the best hair masks with coconut oil, read Best Hair Mask for Dry Hair That You Can Make at Home Easily with Simple Ingredients.
- Coconut oil nourishes the scalp as well as the hair strands. It promotes healthy and faster hair growth.
- Since coconut oil has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties, it prevents scalp infections which lead to hair fall.
Benefits of Coconut Water
- Instead of drinking cola and other aerated beverages, you can always have some coconut water. It soothes your stomach and improves digestion.
- Coconut water is low in calories, carbohydrates, and sugars. The amount of fat contained in it is also very less, which makes it a great energy drink for people who are on diet and wishes to lose weight.
- The water in young coconuts or tender coconuts are rich in electrolytes. These electrolytes are very important for proper hydration of the body without which the nerves and muscles will not function well.
- Coconut water is a rich source of ascorbic acid, B Vitamins and proteins that are vital for your body.
- The soft, jelly like meat inside a tender coconut is a great source of healthy fats, proteins, and various vitamins and minerals. These nutrients are important in the repair and restoration of damaged oxidative tissues in our body.
- Studies suggest that drinking plenty of coconut water will keep you away from kidney stones.
- Research suggests that coconut water consumption may have an impact on the regulation of blood pressure
Benefits of Coconut Parts
- The sap of the flower of coconut tree is used to make toddy, which is an alcoholic drink enjoyed by people in Asia, Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria, Mexico, Philippines and Indonesia.
- Coconut shell charcoal is used to produce active carbon. You can mix this charcoal with salt to brush your teeth which will make them whiter.
- Coconut shell charcoal can be mixed with your natural homemade face masks because they are good at removing impurities.
- Coconut shell handicrafts will look great in your shelves!
- Coconut husk is used to produce ropes, fiber mats and much more.
- You can use coconut husk as a pot for the initial stages of a tree or a plant. It has the ability to absorb nutrients and give it to the plant growing inside it. Also, it has the ability to decompose and mix with the soil very quickly as the plant inside grows.
- One of the best benefits of coconut is that coconut husks are used as bio fuels in rural areas of the world.
- Coconut husks are also a great sources of good quality charcoal.
If you liked this article let us know in the comments section below. Also, feel free to share your knowledge regarding the benefits of coconut.